The world of the Digital DJ has just gotten better. Thanks in part to the latest introduction of the newest Digital DJ Controller from one of the most popular brand in the DJ Equipment arena... Pioneer DJ. On January 10th, 2011, Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.'s Professional Sound and Visual Division announced its DDJ-S1 DJ controller specifically designed for use with the popular Serato® ITCH™ DJ software.
The DDJ-S1 controller is designed for the next generation of DJ entertainers who leverage digital music files at home or on the go. DDJ-S1 features the same operability and functionality of a professional player and mixer setup in addition to exceptional audio quality.
Any lack of respect digital DJs may have been feeling from the world of CD or analogue jocks has finally been put to rest.
It started when Numark introduced the NS7 controller, then Denon, Allen & Heath, and Native Instruments, and it’s now in full flower with the Pioneer DDJ-S1 and DDJ-T1 release.
What does it mean? With a big player like Pioneer getting involved, nightclubs will further get on board with digital technology’s legitimacy. And with two microphone inputs with talkover, it’s a grab for mobile jocks as well.
The DDJ-T1 controller comes loaded with TRAKTOR features not available with the standard TRAKTOR LE software. Features include four-channel deck control, loop editing, six effects, recording and quantising features. Plus, a channel fader start function allows DJs to create cue starts through the controller. Note: no turntable inputs.
The DDJ-S1 2-channel controller provides integration with Serato ITCH software, allowing DJs to play music files direct from their laptop without ever touching the keyboard—a.k.a., the “Don’t bother me, I’m e-mailing,” look.
The effect control area allows DJs to add Serato ITCH DJ FX to their mixes, while the master and channel level meters are located centrally on the unit, allowing DJs to monitor the level of the master and each channel while adjusting the volume.
Pioneer’s move into the controller market has long been expected, of course, and teaming with Serato and Traktor simply validates the direction the industry’s been going.
“Use of the laptop computers for DJ performances continues to be prevalent and the demand for quality controllers combined with an instinctual software interface is growing,” said David Arevalo, senior marketing manager, Professional Sound and Visual Division for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “The DDJ-S1 paired with Serato ITCH DJ software fully maximizes the ‘Pioneer DJ experience’, giving users of our products the necessary tools to create the best performance possible.”
The DDJ-S1 allows for easy transfer of music from the user’s laptop with a USB connection for simplicity and quick “plug-and-play” capability. For additional convenience, the controller also comes with a space saving computer dock that allows a laptop’s keyboard to slip directly under the controller, enabling its monitor to be closer to the DJ to provide fast visuals of song information while mixing. The device adopts Pioneer’s “P-LOCK Fader Cap,” designed to prevent the fader caps from slipping.
Key Features Include:
- Plug-and-Play USB Connectivity – All buttons and knobs have been pre-assigned, so users can quickly connect the controller to their laptops with the use of a USB cable, enabling them to start their performances without having to adjust any complicated settings. Additionally, the DDJ-S1 can be powered through the laptop’s USB port.*1
- Multiple Input and Output Options – The controller is equipped with various inputs and outputs including a balanced XLR output and 2 Microphone inputs (XLR, 1/4 inch PHONE) for connection to professional PA equipment.*2
- Designed Specifically for Serato ITCH DJ Software with Advanced Pioneer Functionality – The DDJ-S1 offers tight integration with Serato ITCH DJ software and is loaded with original functionality. Unique features include song progression status on a LED display; an alphabetic search function for quick song selection from large music collections; and a slip mode for looping, reversing, and scratching without changing the song tempo. The DDJ-S1 also includes needle search functionality to quickly skip through songs to a preferred playback point.
- Specially Designed User Interface – The controller layout and Serato ITCH software interface are the same, ensuring ease-of-use and precise control. The DDJ-S1 is modeled after the established design of the professional Pioneer DJ player and mixer and integrates centrally placed level meters and an effect control area, so DJs can add Serato ITCH DJ FX to the mix.
- Highest-Quality Sound - The controller is optimized for Serato ITCH DJ software and incorporates technology from Pioneer’s professional line of DJ equipment to ensure the highest quality sound output.
Additional Features Include:
- Proprietary lock mechanism called the P-LOCK Fader Cap designed to prevent fader caps from slipping. *3
- Premiere built-in sound card.
- Both microphone inputs are equipped with a talk-over function to lower the music volume when receiving voice input from the microphone.
The Pioneer DDJ-S1 will be available in March 2011, and of course, in the $1,500 range, these will be the most expensive DJ controllers on the market. Will Pioneer price out the bedroom DJ?
- Included Software: Serato ITCH
- Input Terminals: Mic x 2 (top XLR / 1/4" Phone, front 1/4" Phone), AUX x 1 (RCA)
- Output Terminals: Master Out x 2 (XLR & RCA), Headphone Monitor Out x 2 (front 1/4" Phone, Mini-pin)
- Other Terminals: USB-B Connector x 1
- Frequency Range: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.01 % or less
- Included AC Adaptor: 120V (60 Hz), rated output 5V DC
- External Dimensions: 26.8in (W) x 12.5in (D) x 3.7in (H)
- Weight: 11 lbs
- Compatible OS: Mac OS X (10.4.11, 10.5.11, 10.6 or later), Windows® 7 Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate, Windows® Vista Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate/Business (SP1 and later), Windows® XP Home Edition/Professional (SP3 and later). (Note: Not compatible with Windows® XP Professional x64 edition)
NOW IN STOCK - $999
(or $899 - Open Box/Floor Model)
Mention Code DJPA10, get 10% OFF YOUR PRE-ORDER
& Receive FREE SHIPPING!